This Sunday we celebrated our fifth birthday at Aletheia. It was a great day—a wonderful moment to celebrate all that God has done over the last five years.
Very often I will write to solve a problem, share a skill, or add a thought to an ongoing issue in church planting or in culture. But to commemorate all that God has done for me personally and for our church corporately in the last five years, I couldn’t think of anything more appropriate than to briefly enumerate some of the amazing ways God has proven Himself faithful.
- God called some of our best friends in the world to move to Boston with us. We would not be where we are if it weren’t for Donny and Janna Fisher.
- God gave me a supportive, prayerful, faithful woman of God in my wife, Hope. Without her, I would not and could not do this.
- We were so scared to move up here, but God gave both our families beautiful, new apartments right on top of each other. Our kids got to play, we got to laugh, and our families grew in close proximity. This made the hard, early years so much sweeter.
- God gave us a people from day 1. Not everyone gets that, but I never once had to bear this church plant totally alone.
- God gave me two amazing ministry mentors in Jim Laffoon and Stephen Mansfield, who have walked closely with us for years, guarding me, my family, and our church, with selflessness and wisdom.
- God provided a building in the perfect location for our launch.
- God gave us every single dollar we needed, from partners who’ve given to our ministry for years, to churches who gave us enormous special gifts.
- Through us, God has saved a lot of people.
- We launched with 99 people.
- We’ve never stopped growing.
- God has given us hundreds of amazing volunteers. These men and women are selfless, Kingdom-minded, and joyful co-laborers for Christ. I am humbled to lead them.
- God called and enabled the launch of a second location in downtown Boston.
- My kids love Jesus and like me. Not everyone can say that, so I’m grateful.
- All our gatherings are packed, and that’s nuts to me.
- God has allowed our spiritual family to be a diverse one, and I’m so, so grateful for that testimony of gospel power for unity.
- When I was walking through the valleys of depression, God delivered me.
- I get to preach the Bible for a living, and make disciples of Jesus Christ as a full-time job. I feel like the luckiest guy in the world.
- God has given us an amazing spiritual family in Every Nation. There’s no other group of men and women I’d rather walk with in the world.
- God gave us an amazing staff, and I love these men and women with all my heart. I love working with them, and think they’re all rockstars.
- I’ve lost count of how many people I’ve baptized in the last 5 years.
- When church planting was hard, God never left me. His presence and power sustained me.
It’s good to make lists like this. One thing is sure, not every day in ministry will be as sweet as a 5th birthday, but seeing just some of what God has done in the last few years reminds me that He is unstoppably faithful. I can’t wait to see what the next few years hold!